Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -NextFrontier Finance
Johnathan Walker:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:49:16
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Johnathan Walkeragain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Best Buy recalls almost 1 million pressure cookers after spewed contents burn 17 people
- In With The New: Shop Lululemon's Latest Styles & We Made Too Much Drops
- What are Maine's gun laws?
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- University of Louisiana System’s board appoints Grambling State’s leader as new president
- Maine mass shooting victims: What to know about the 18 people who died
- Georgia deputy injured in Douglas County shooting released from hospital
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
Ranking
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Tennessee attorney general sues federal government over abortion rule blocking funding
- A blast killed 2 people and injured 9 in a Shiite neighborhood in the Afghan capital Kabul
- NFL should have an open mind on expanding instant replay – but it won't
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Former President George W. Bush to throw out ceremonial first pitch before World Series opener
- Driver in Malibu crash that killed 4 Pepperdine students pleads not guilty to murder
- Jonathan Majors' ex-girlfriend arrested amid domestic violence case against the actor
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Soil removal from Ohio train derailment site is nearly done, but cleanup isn’t over
US strikes back at Iranian-backed groups who attacked troops in Iraq, Syria: Pentagon
AP Week in Pictures: North America
Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
Rampage in Maine is the 36th mass killing this year. Here's what happened in the others
Vanessa Hudgens’ Dark Vixen Bachelorette Party Is the Start of Something New With Fiancé Cole Tucker
Britney Spears Reveals What Exes Justin Timberlake and Kevin Federline Ruined for Her