Current:Home > StocksSen. Bob Menendez’s co-defendants, including his wife, plead not guilty to revised bribery charges -NextFrontier Finance
Sen. Bob Menendez’s co-defendants, including his wife, plead not guilty to revised bribery charges
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 05:21:02
NEW YORK (AP) — Four defendants in the criminal bribery case against U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez pleaded not guilty Wednesday in New York City to a revised indictment alleging that the senator, his wife and a third defendant conspired to use him as an agent of the Egyptian government.
The senator, who gave up his position as chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee after his arrest last month, was excused from the Manhattan federal court proceeding until Monday because of Senate business.
The defendants entering the pleas included his wife, Nadine Menendez, and a businessman, Wael Hana.
The senator, his wife and Hana were charged in the rewritten indictment last week with a new charge of conspiring to utilize the senator as an agent of the Egyptian government even though he was prohibited from acting as one as a member of Congress.
The earlier indictment charged Menendez and his wife with participating in a bribery conspiracy by accepting bribes of cash, gold bars and a luxury car from three New Jersey businessmen who wanted the senator’s help and influence over foreign affairs.
At Wednesday’s proceeding, Judge Sidney H. Stein denied a request by Hana that a GPS monitoring device attached to his leg be removed on the grounds that it was painful and because there was no chance he would flee.
Stein ruled after Assistant U.S. Attorney Daniel Richenthal opposed the request, saying that Hana, a citizen of the U.S. and Egypt, was a flight risk because he was “deeply connected” to the Egyptian government and had more than $25 million in assets overseas.
Hana’s attorney, Lawrence Lustberg, said the electronic ankle bracelet that his client was required to wear was uncomfortable and “buzzes all night when he’s trying to sleep.”
“It’s an onerous condition that we feel, respectively, is simply not necessary,” Lustberg said.
He said Hana was looking forward to being exonerated at a trial scheduled for May 6 and had no interest in leaving the U.S.
“He is absolutely resolute about staying here,” Lustberg said.
Richenthal said prosecutors agreed to a $5 million bail package for Hana, even though the charges against him are not extraditable offenses in Egypt, because he agreed to wear the GPS device and because he was willing to post substantial property and cash to support his bail.
The new charge against the trio alleges that they conspired to take a series of steps on behalf of Egypt, including for Egyptian military and intelligence officials, from January 2018 to June 2022.
In a statement last week, Menendez said he will “show my innocence” at trial. His wife said through her attorney that she denies all allegations in the indictment while Lustberg said the allegation that Hana joined a plot to enlist Menendez as an agent of the Egyptian government was “as absurd as it is false.”
Prosecutors say Menendez was acting on Hana’s behalf when he urged U.S. agriculture officials to stop questioning a lucrative monopoly that Hana’s company obtained from the Egyptian government to certify that all meat imported into that country met religious requirements.
veryGood! (8611)
Related
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Volcanic supercontinent will likely wipe out humans in 250 million years, study says
- Jason Billingsley, man accused of killing Baltimore tech CEO, arrested after dayslong search
- How long has it been since the Minnesota Twins won a playoff game?
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- McCarthy rejects Senate spending bill while scrambling for a House plan that averts a shutdown
- Officials cement plans for Monday's $250 million civil fraud trial against Trump
- Macron proposes limited autonomy for France’s Mediterranean island of Corsica
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- Watch Ronald Acuna Jr.'s epic celebration as he becomes first member of MLB's 40-70 club
Ranking
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- UAW VP says Stellantis proposals mean job losses; top executive says they won't
- Retail theft, other shrink factors drained $112B from stores last year
- Menendez will address Senate colleagues about his bribery charges as calls for his resignation grow
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Blue Beetle tells story of Latino superhero and his family in first-of-its-kind live action film
- New Thai prime minister pays friendly visit to neighboring Cambodia’s own new leader
- Retail theft, other shrink factors drained $112B from stores last year
Recommendation
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
Drive a Hyundai or Kia? See if your car is one of the nearly 3.4 million under recall for fire risks
Heinz announces new product after Taylor Swift condiment choice goes viral at Chiefs game
Harry Potter's Bonnie Wright Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Husband Andrew Lococo
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
3 people die in a crash involving 4 vehicles in New Hampshire
Proof Patrick Mahomes Was Enchanted to Meet Taylor Swift After Game With Travis Kelce
Dozens of people arrested in Philadelphia after stores are ransacked across the city